Nairobi governor Evans Kidero when he visited victims of the Huruma building at KNH. The county boss extended the period for start of demolition of faulty buildings in Nairobi to Saturday May 14.
Nairobi Governor Evans Kidero on Saturday suspended the demolition of houses unfit for habitation in the city.
The governor said that the houses that were earmarked to be brought down will now be destroyed next week.
The decision, he said, was arrived at in order to give affected tenants ample time to seek alternative accommodation.
The governor gave the directive even as two more bodies were pulled from the rubble of the collapsed Huruma building, bringing the death toll to 49.
Pius Masai, national disaster management unit head of operations, said that 55 people were still missing while 18 are receiving treatment at Kenyatta National Hospital.
So far 146 people have been rescued in the operation which Masai said was 96 per cent complete.
” This basically means that the rescue operation is at a critical stage to ensure that those who are still under the rubble are not badly when we are removing the debris.” he said.
Families looking for their loved ones at the Huruma site remained hopeful that they will be pulled out alive after alive after a seven months-old girl was pulled alive from the collapsed building on Tuesday.
The building collapsed on Friday April 29 during a heavy downpour in Nairobi.
Four more people were also pulled alive on Thursday.
Five people charged following the incident were released on Sh1 million bond each on Wednesday.
The suspects are brothers Samuel Kamau and Henry Muiruri, Crispus Ndinyo, Justus Kathenge and Seline Ogallo.
They were not charged when they appeared before principal magistrate Beatrice Mosiria on Wednesday.
The five were ordered to surrender their passports and report to the CID headquarters once a week as investigations are conducted.
Principal magistrate Beatrice Mosiria said they will be charged once the investigations are completed.