The National Police Service Commission (NPSC) says the police recruitment conducted on Monday has been successfully completed and recruits started reporting for training on Wednesday.
NPSC Chairman Johnstone Kavuludi stated that all recruits are expected to report for training by Sunday, failure to which they will be deemed to have forfeited their slots.
He indicated that there will be no further intakes and urged members of the public to be wary of fraudsters implying otherwise.
“As we speak now, I would like to confirm to the public that those who were successful have already started reporting at the various police training colleges in the country specifically the Training College at Kiganjo, the Administration Police Training College at Embakasi and at the GSU Training School at Embakasi,” he stated.
“Reporting will be carried on until Sunday and after that anybody that will not have reported will be considered to have forfeited their place. Thereafter there will be no more reporting. It will be closed and those who will be in the training institutions are the only ones who will continue to train,” he said.
He pointed out that during the recruitment, all necessary precautions were taken to ensure that it was transparent.
“I want to confirm that there were minimum flaws because no officer was able to superintend over the exercise in their own areas of jurisdiction and this reduced any possibilities of lobbying or other malpractices that could have been attendant to this exercise,” he indicated.
He stated that the recruits will undergo training for nine months in the three training colleges in efforts to efficiently prepare them to tackle threats against the country.
The recruitment was conducted in all 290 constituencies across the country and four other centres including the NYS Headquarters and CID Training School in South C.
It was monitored by the Kenya National Commission on Human Rights (KNCHR), Independent Policing Oversight Authority (IPOA), Rights Promotion and Protection Centre (RPP), Federation of Women Lawyers in Kenya (FIDA-KENYA), International Centre for Transitional Justice (ICTJ), Constitution and Reform Education Consortium (CRECO).
The drive was spearheaded by Senior Superintendents of Police who were dispatched to every constituency to ensure it was above board.
Priority was given to candidates who were Kenyan citizens with a minimum qualification of D+ in their Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) examinations and a D+ in either English or Kiswahili.
The age group varied between 18 to 28 years for holders of KCSE Examination Certificate or its equivalent and up to 30 years for diploma and degree holders.
They were required to be physically and medically fit and without a criminal record or pending criminal charges.
The exercise came after President Uhuru Kenyatta directed the Inspector-General to expedite recruitment of 10,000 officers after last year’s exercise was nullified by the High Court.