Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph Nkaissery now says the war on illicit brews and cancellation of licenses for killer alcoholic drinks has been extended to cover all parts of the country.
Nkaissery says Governors in all the 47 counties have been incorporated to spearhead the war in their respective regions after Wednesday’s directive by President Uhuru Kenyatta.
Nkaissery was speaking after a meeting the Council of Governors chairman Peter Munya, Kenya Bureau of Standards officials and the General Service Unit boss Joel Kitili on Thursday.
“It is a directive which will not be reversed…we shall win this war. Help us (media) redeem the young generation,” he stated.
The Cabinet Secretary cautioned that stern measures have been put in place to ensure the campaign succeeds.
This comes after President Uhuru Kenyatta directed leaders from the Mount Kenya Members of Parliament to deal with the menace head on within four days.
“We cannot allow this (sale and consumption of the illicit brews) to continue,” said the President when he met MPs, Senators and Women Representatives from the larger Central Region at State House.
They included elected leaders from Central Kenya, Nairobi, Meru and Embu.
He mandated the MPs and all those supportive of the new drive to move from door to door closing all outlets selling the illicit drinks and destroying those in the process of manufacturing and sale.
The President said in the same way the notorious Mungiki group had been eradicated a few years back during President Mwai Kibaki’s tenure, the war against the illicit brews must be won.
“We agreed to tackle the (Mungiki) problem head-on and now we have a similar problem. We did it then. We can do it again until we control the (illicit liquor) problem,” said the president.
President Kenyatta also instructed the National Youth Service (NYS) director Nelson Githinji, who was present to start a parallel campaign of rounding off drunk and addicted youths and put them in special centres for rehabilitation.
The directive came hours after Kiambu Governor William Kabogo banned the sale of second generation liquor in his county, and days after Kabete MP Ferdinand Waititu led youths in vandalising bars.
Munya on his part said as part of the national wide campaign, all County Governments will also develop regulatory policies to ensure the war against illicit brew is sustained.
“The two levels of Government have agreed to immediately suspend all second generation alcoholic beverage licenses until an interagency team carry’s out a nationwide inspection of premises and analysis of alcoholic of products to ensure they meet the set KEBS standards,” he said.