Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has confirmed Inter Milan have made an improved offer for striker Lukas Podolski.
Podolski missed the 2-0 defeat at Southampton on New Year’s Day due to injury but Wenger revealed after the game that the Serie A club had increased their original “farcical” offer for the 29-year-old. The Germany international has not started a Premier League game this season and Wenger said his departure was possible during the January transfer window, although not yet inevitable.
“The first proposal was farcical; after they came back a bit more serious, then we will see what happens now,” Wenger said. “Inevitable? Not in the transfer market, it’s very difficult to say, but we’ll see later.”
Podolski found himself making headlines earlier in the week with the Daily Mirror claiming he had stormed out of training as his frustrations over life at the Emirates reached boiling point. But he took to Twitter on Thursday to reject those claims, saying he had spent all day at the club’s training base being treated for injury, which Wenger confirmed – he also admitted there was a chance he would have made a rare start at St Mary’s because of his long injury and suspension list.
“He was not available because of injury, but he would have had a big chance to start, yes,” Wenger added. “He has not practiced for a few days now, since our last game at West Ham because of a tight groin. So I don’t think he will be available for Sunday.”