EACC Deputy CEO Michael Mubea yesterday told his chairman Mumo Matemu that he was staying put, despite the demand by the commission that he take 30 days’ forced leave.
A defiant Mubea said Matemu had no legal mandate to either suspend or fire him.
“I have reported to work and, as you have seen, am from the field on official duty. The law is clear on who should sack me. The CEO has told me to resume my duties,” Mubea said.
Matemu on Monday sent the commission’s deputy secretary on forced leave to pave the way for investigations into allegations on “integrity issues”. The suspension was however countermanded by CEO Halakhe Waqo, who claimed that Matemu had over-stepped his mandate.
Yesterday, Mubea, in an interview with The Star, said he harboured no grudge against the commission over the botched 30-day suspension, adding, “I will continue discharging my duties as assigned to me by the CEO”.
The 50-year-old said his track record at the EACC has been impressive and saw high-profile public figures arrested and prosecuted on his watch.
“My record speaks for itself. I want those accusing me of malpractices over ‘intelligence’ reports to table concrete evidence. So far, I have not been confronted with facts on what my wrongdoing is,” the father of three said.
As the deputy secretary, Mubea is in charge of the EACC’s entire operations, including the directorates of investigations, prevention and legal services.
Mubea said his security and official vehicles were suddenly withdrawn immediately the chairman suspended him, but reinstated after the CEO revoked the suspension.
“I was exposed to risks of harm, despite the high-profile cases I have handled. I was stranded at my house for hours before I could find my way to town to meet the CEO,” he said.
Mubea refused to disclose details of the behind-closed-doors boardroom wars at the EACC that might have led to a falling out at the commission, saying he has a cordial working relationship with the secretariat and the commission.
The storm at Integrity Centre was allegedly triggered by this month’s prosecution of some of the Anglo Leasing suspects, amid reports that at least two high-voltage files have caused divisions on whether the suspects should be prosecuted.