The Nigerian Army has debunked the rumour making the rounds in the social media that the Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lt-Gen. Kenneth Minimah, and the military leadership are actively working for an interim government after May 29, 2015.
The Acting Director of Army Public Relations (Ag.DAPR), Col. Sani Usman, said in a statement on Tuesday that the Army’s attention has “been drawn to spurious and unsubstantiated allegations being circulated particularly, in the social media, about the Nigerian Army, the Chief of Army Staff and some serving senior officers.
“Any discerning mind would notice that these false and baseless allegations are calculated attempts by unpatriotic elements to divide the Nigerian Army, create disaffection among its ranks and distract the service from its avowed constitutional duty of defending the territorial integrity of our great nation. Unfortunately for these individuals, their effort which are reminiscent of the NADECO days are obviously aimed at reversing the gains made and the renewed efforts in fighting terrorism and insurgency in the country is failing woefully”.
Before dealing with these allegations, Usman said, it is important to note that these efforts are renewed attempts by the same faceless groups who since last year have made futile efforts to politicize ongoing counter-terrorism and counter-insurgency operations of the Nigerian Army and other security agencies.